Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A real life example of a girl supporting girls

One of the goals of Girls Supporting Girls is to engage young people in our community to advocate on behalf of and raise funds to support their peers in the developing world. Our guest blogger, Amy R., is fulfilling that mission. Here's what she had to say......

On my thirteenth birthday, I had a surprise party. Earlier, my mom asked what my ideal gift would be. Ever since watching Girl Rising and learning about Girls Supporting Girls, I wanted to support the cause. So I told my mom that all I really wanted for my birthday was to help GSG. I knew, though, that I had to elaborate on that by finding an actual way to help the organization.

At my party, my mom told me she had put in the invitation that instead of bringing presents, people should bring $5 to $10 donations for Girls Supporting Girls. After my party, I opened the envelopes to find $20 and $60 donations, all with notes of encouragement supporting the cause! When I finished counting up the money, I realized we had raised $350. I thought this was a great way to get people in the spirit of Girls Supporting Girls! What an easy but effective way to help the organization. By asking for donations instead of gifts, I was able to help build schools. 

We couldn't agree more Amy.

No comments:

Post a Comment