Monday, July 22, 2013

Juliet's thoughts: Advocacy is a privilege


As the story has been beautifully shared by my friends Judy and Diana, the three of us have come together in shared interest and passion to form Girls Supporting Girls. While each of our paths have been unique, our goal is the same – to promote the fair treatment and quality of life for women around the world. We are focusing on girls and education because we think this to be the most direct path to meet our goal. It’s the most impactful way I believe I can make positive change in this world.

As a mother, I believe one of our most important jobs is to be an advocate for our children. My own family has faced some challenges that have placed me in this role, having to question the medical community, battle insurance companies and work with our school to ensure the appropriate services are in place for my two daughters and son to succeed. It’s a full-time job (along with my other full-time, 9-to-5ish job), it’s a responsibility and--above all-- it’s a privilege. I am painfully aware that this is not the case for many mothers around the world today. I feel that everyone should have the right to see their children educated and given the opportunity to reach their goals. 

Spreading the reach of this advocacy to other children around the world will be an amazing experience, a true privilege. I’m so excited to start this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment